Stayin’ alive

A kidney dialysis/transplant diary

I’m back

You may have wondered where I was. Been away from work and pretty much everything else for a week. 

I was near exhaustion, I think, physically and mentally and decided I needed to just shut down as much as possible for a week or so.  It’s helped a little, but not as much as I would have liked.

I did keep my feet up most of the week in hopes it would help move some of the fluid from the backs of my legs and legs in general and push it closer to the heart of the matter, so to speak, in eliminating it. Pulling fluid from the toes is just that, like pulling fluid from the toes.

I had ultrasound done on both legs Thursday because the doctor thought I might be experiencing external phlebitis. I’ve Googled external phlebitis and not come up with anything I understand very well. So I’m not sure what she was looking for, but the ultrasound did not show any deep vein clots.  That’s a relief, but doesn’t answer the question of what’s going on with my legs.

The ultrasound, by the way, though a non-invasive technique, hurt like hell even though it normally doesn’t.  I felt like a real wimp, too, because I know it usually doesn’t hurt and here I was tightening up like knotted wire, wincing and occasionally gasping from the pain. The poor tech kept apologizing to me and I kept apologizing to her because I knew she felt badly for causing the pain.

The doctor’s reading was basically, “try to limit your fluid more.”  Her nurse-practitioner suggested continuing the warm packs, too.

Another possibility I need to discuss with the dialysis doc or my own GP is Baker’s Cyst.   If it is, it’s probably due to arthritis and the PRICE principle might help (Protect, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). And restrict my fluid intake even further. See, I did listen, Doc.

Tuesday is the target date for renewing use of my fistula.  I’ve been on reduced coumadin since 3 days before so my treatments are being affected.  The dialyzer is heavily streaked and near the end of the treatment my blood is clotted enough to trip the machine. Hopefully we’ll be able to add some of the coumadin back so treatments run more smoothly.

I slept or dozed a good part of the week and I think toward the end of the week it was getting to Mom a bit. There’s always this unspoken expectations that “things” will get done during time off from work but this time I opted not to do “things” so I didn’t. Nothing like screwing up someone else’s timetable for you.

Guess what? It’s snowing here…been snowing 5 hours or so and on top of rain that wasn’t quite frozen when I left for work this morning. What fun! The word for the day from the county dispatchers (I do a round of cop calls on Sunday mornings) was “crappy.”  How true.

I may or may not try to go to the grocery store after I get off work.


February 17, 2008 - Posted by | diabetes, dialysis, fistula, health, kidney, renal diet, renal recipes, transplant, weight loss

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: